News

NFL rosters cut down to 75

NFL rosters cut down to 75

New England Patriots quarterback Tim Tebow passes against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the third quarter of an NFL preseason football game Friday, Aug. 16, 2013, in Foxborough, Mass. Photo: Associated Press/Michael Dwyer

UNDATED (AP) — Tim Tebow has survived the New England Patriots’ mandatory roster cut to 75 players. The third-string quarterback faces another hurdle when all NFL teams must reduce their rosters on Saturday to the regular-season limit of 53.

In other transaction news:

— For the second straight day, the Browns ended the season for one of their running backs. Montario Hardesty was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury, the latest medical setback for the former third-round pick. The move with Hardesty came one day after the Browns put running back Dion Lewis on season-ending injured reserve with a surgically repaired left leg.

— Seattle has put receiver Percy Harvin on the reserve physically unable to perform list. He will miss the first six weeks of the season.

— Titans veteran receiver Kevin Walter will miss the first six weeks of the season recovering from back surgery in July. The Titans moved the receiver to the physically unable to perform list to trim the roster to the 75-man limit.

— Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Jay Ratliff will miss at least the first six games of the season after being placed on the physically unable to perform list with hamstring and groin injuries. Ratliff missed offseason workouts and training camp after sports hernia surgery late last season.

— The Lions have released Norwegian kicker Havard Rugland. He became an Internet sensation after producing a YouTube video with a lot of quirky trick shots. The Lions signed the Norwegian in April to give kicker David Akers some competition.

— The Jets have released kicker Billy Cundiff and signed Dan Carpenter to compete with incumbent Nick Folk.

— Carolina Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart will miss at least the first six weeks of the season while he recovers from an ankle injury.

— Packers starting running back DuJuan Harris is out for the year after injuring his right knee last week against the Seahawks. He hurt the same knee during the offseason.

— New York Giants receiver Victor Cruz expects to play in the regular-season opener against the Dallas Cowboys. He was upbeat about being ready for the Sept. 8 game a day after removing the protective boot from his injured left foot. He said the only time his injured heel hurts is when he gets out of bed in the morning.

—Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain will miss at least the first six weeks of the regular season as he recovers from a bruised spinal cord. Baltimore placed the inside linebacker on the physically unable to perform list because he still is working his way back from the December injury. He has been a starter for the Ravens for three seasons.

— Miami rookie linebacker Dion Jordan has returned to practice after being sidelined by a lingering shoulder injury, improving his chances of playing in the season opener next week. The No. 3 overall pick missed the past two exhibition games and most of practice the last two weeks after suffering a setback in his recovery from right shoulder surgery last winter.

— Chargers rookie linebacker Manti Te’o is out of the walking boot that has protected his sprained right foot since he was injured in the exhibition opener Aug. 8. Coach Mike McCoy says he’s not sure if Te’o will shed the boot for good but hopes he can be ready to start in the Sept. 9 opener against Houston.

— The Saints have placed linebackers Will Smith and Chris Chamberlain and receiver Joseph Morgan on injured reserve, designated linebacker Victor Butler as physically unable to perform and cut three players. The Saints also added two players to put their roster at 75.

News

in National

Jobless claims signal firmer labor market

Fresh
Job seekers adjust their paperwork as they wait in line to attend a job fair in New York February 28, 2013.

The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly fell last week, suggesting the labor market continued to strengthen.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Entertainment

Third ‘Night at the Museum’ marks final film for Williams, Rooney

nightatthemuseum

The credits for "Secret of the Tomb," which opens Friday, read "In loving memory of Mickey Rooney," and "For Robin Williams - the magic never ends."

in Entertainment

Chris Pratt thought ‘Guardians’ would be a box office flop

Guardians Of The Galaxy

The "Parks and Rec" star was very, very wrong.

in Entertainment

Sony cancels ‘The Interview’ in win for N. Korean hackers

interview

The $44 million raunchy comedy was scheduled to debut on Christmas Day.