News

Mega Millions up to $400M, 2nd-biggest jackpot ever

Mega Millions up to $400M, 2nd-biggest jackpot ever

BIG MONEY: The Mega Millions jackpot is nearing a record payout. Photo: Reuters

(Reuters) – The Mega Millions jackpot grew to an estimated $400 million for the next draw on Friday after no one won the top prize of $344 million on Tuesday evening, lottery organizers said.

The next draw is slated for Friday, Dec. 13 – considered an unlucky date by some – at 11 p.m. Eastern.

If the winner chose to take a cash prize instead of an annuity, it would amount to $216 million, according to the Mega Millions website, megamillions.com.

Tuesday’s top prize had a cash payout option of $184 million, according to the lottery, which is played in a majority of U.S. states. The winning numbers from that drawing were: 5, 12, 22, 41, 65 and 13, Mega Millions said.

No one has won the jackpot in more than two months, pushing the purse steadily higher, although it remains well below the record-setting $656 million won on March 30, 2012.

The next largest prizes in the 17-year history of Mega Millions were worth $390 million and $380 million.

News

3 hours ago in Entertainment

Today in entertainment history: May 3

dollyparton

A look back at some of the biggest headlines in Hollywood history.

14 hours ago in Entertainment

Too much ice in your Starbucks?

starbucks265305906988

A federal lawsuit claims Starbucks regularly overfills its cold drinks with ice instead of using the advertised amount of coffee or other liquid in its plastic cups.

19 hours ago in National

Conservatives in Congress urge shutdown of tax-collecting IRS

IRS1603071802493863

It's a U.S. taxpayer's dream: make the Internal Revenue Service go away, and the largest conservative group in Congress is endorsing just that.

21 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Ghostbusters’ reboot is ‘most disliked’ trailer of all time

25-overlay-1

The trailer for the all-female remake of the classic 1984 comedy hits theaters this summer.

21 hours ago in Entertainment

Kit Harington apologizes to ‘Game of Thrones’ fans

kitharington329072196370

SPOILER ALERT: The British actor has been insisting that Jon Snow was dead for months, since the end of the 2015 season, when it appeared he had been killed off.